Search This Blog

Saturday 26 June 2010

Floral Display

Continuing on with my mission to use old stash, I did this layout as part of a challenge on one of my social groups on UKS. 



The fuschia cardstock is Betty in Love, love Elsie - not THAT old in terms of my stash, but the striped patterned paper is Made to Match Valentines, by American Crafts.  I don't think stripes or cardstock ages that much, but these stickers hark back to the start of my scrapping days, so over 6 years old.  I don't like them now, but I've got it, so I will use it! 

The photos are of the Floral Display in the Great Pavilion at the Chelsea Flower Show, 2009.  The floral displays were created by the National Association of Flower Arrangement Society - blimey - try saying that 10 times really quickly!  That's a real mouthful. 

Additional parts of the challenge were to use distressing, stamping, and a frame.  I distressed the photos by adding a thin border of green paint.  After mixing a colour and painting the Fancy Pants chipboard, I then stamped over the top of the mauve with white.  After that, I added some stickles at the end to bring some refracted light into the layout.  I added more stamping with the tail of the butterfly and the motif in the top left hand corner - it reads:  "Beauty is all around us".  The stamp is "Word Flourishes" by Rhonna Farrer - I love those swirling words.  If I want the flourish but not the word, then I stamp the image and cut the word off. 

I have had the Cuttlebug butterfly die and embossing set for about two months now and finally got to use it today - hurray!  Once embossed, I outlined the butterfly in white ink, and then added stickles to the embossed parts, so it adds some impact.  The green pearls also add some lift. 

The shape of that Fancy Pants chipboard bothers me - and gives me the impression that the layout isn't balanced.  But it is done now, and I don't have the inclination to do a triple part process just to add in more chipboard!  This also acts as a frame for the accent bead inserts.  It adds quite a lot of dimension IRL. The photos were quite drab before I added in some white cardstock cut into a flower shape - white brings in a lot of light, and it was just the touch I needed here.  I made three cardstock roses and added in a Prima leaf - I am not sure if that works or not - but it's there now, and stuck down - so that's the way it will stay.  Job finally done after a lot of time faffing!  :)

4 comments:

  1. Fab layout Ali, I love the butterfly! ;) I am also on a mission to use up old stash, I have promised myself halfheartedly that I won't buy any more papers (my weakness) until I have made a big dent in my current stock! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ggorgeous! Love the colours and the big swirl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely gorgeous Ali - love all the different elements of this.

    ReplyDelete