Search This Blog

Thursday 7 March 2013

Emma Trout, Inspired 2010 - at 10 months

My weekend away last weekend at Meadow Barn was wonderful - it was my first break for a year (since the Meadow Barn trip the year before) and a chance to do whatever I wanted for most of the weekend.  (Well - it would have been nice to have had more sleep - but I can't blame anyone else for being such an excessively light sleeper!)
 
I have found over the years that what I prefer to do on crafty weekends away is to finish off old projects.  This weekend I was very weirdly well organised, and took a wide selection of stuff to do and things to finish off.  I got a few cards made, a layout started and finished, and I managed to progress this one below.  Not as productive as some others, but then I am excessively slow, and prefer to get all the details right before moving on to something else! 
 
This layout was taught by Emma Trout at the first "Inspired" retreat in 2010.  I believe it was also the first class she taught.  I really admire Emma's work for all the beautiful, intricate details and the overall visual picture she creates with each layout.  Emma's original piece was of her son and his dog and how they were "best buds".
 
I had just had a shoulder op when attending that retreat, and was still getting over the general anaesthetic.  I took no suitable pictures and didn't mentally absorb much of each class - I think I was pretty zoned out much of the time!  The background has been waiting in a bag since Feb 2010, and when packing up to go away this weekend, I brought out this packet and flicked through the photos on my computer.  I thought the following photos of my boys at 10 months old were perfect with the blue and rust tones in the photos. 

 
Emma used a Teresa Collins blue and white flower paper where my floral elements were, and we had to substitute it with something else when that original paper was not available for the class.  When I came back home, I rifled through my papers and found a very arts & crafts design of K & Co paper that has actually turned out perfectly, I think - I love the subtle honeycomb colour and design - very William Morris! 
 
It still took me a good couple of hours when I got home to further place the elements on the page and reprint the photos - I am such a nightmare, I always get adhesive all over my photos!  I had to reprint them all again, and change the mat size.  Because I had 4 photos instead of her 3, I also had to change the placement of the title and journalling block.  However - I love these photos of Henry and Lewis and I love the layout - especially the fact that it is now finished!  I also used different Thickers because these were a definite aqua and stood out more against that floral paper. 
 
I think my next project will be to finish off her other layout class as she used the same papers, but different elements.  What I really liked about Emma's class was that she explained how to look at a patterned paper and take different elements from it - for example, taking some of the damask elements and cutting them out of the background to form photo frames.  I don't think I would have hit upon that idea. 
 
As the rub-ons are so old, I added a layer of Glossy Accents over the top, so there will be no chance of them lifting off the page.  I also had to adhere the vinyl Thickers with Glossy Accents too, as they had largely lost their stick!  One of the disadvantages of keeping supplies so long, and a great lesson for the future. 
 
Supplies:
American Crafts Thickers "Poolside" vinyl
Making Memories "Rummage" rub-on alphabet
October Afternoon Cardstock Stickers "Cherry Hill"
Bazzill White cardstock
Patterned papers: October Afternoon (Detours) "Walk in the Park"
                             K & Co rust & aqua floral from their classic collection
                             My Mind's Eye (Be.Loved) "Smitten Stripes"
                             Teresa Collins (Damask) "Stationery"
                             Teresa Collins (Documented) "Measured"
                             My Mind's Eye (Love Me Do) "Head in the Clouds"
                             My Mind's Eye (Love Me Do) "Rock and Roll Heart"
                             Prima Marketing (Blooming Retro) "Cotton Clouds"
 
Those patterned papers are so beautiful!  I would never have thought of combining so many of them in such a striking way.  I wonder what projects I will make with the scraps?  Thanks Emma.  :)
                            


10 comments:

  1. I think Poolside are my favourite Thicker but I also find they're to v sticky. I love the layout though and the flowers are v William Morris x

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks beautiful now it's all finished and sets off the boys' photos beautifully. Well done on all the fussy cutting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful layout :) Those vinal stickers are a nightmare to stick down, even new they didnt work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very interesting love all the cutting out I also like those smaller photos. I'm going to have to try some smaller shots I always seem to have large piccys possibly because my eyes aren't as good as they used to be ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks fantastic now that you've put it all together. I think I have some of that damask paper and I love the idea of using the design as a frame.
    Fi xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous, Ali. The photos are just right aren't they?! I love the papers and colour combo too. Well worth the wait I reckon - glad you enjoyed your weekend. You deserved it! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow I love this page. The Damask 'frames' are inspired. I'm the same as you with class projects packed away to be pulled out and played with in months or years.... who knows.
    Hugs
    Sandra xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was so wonderful seeing you again Ali, I am really going to miss you next year! Who is going to cook potatoes with me and dance me around the room? Beautiful layout and I love the floral elements you went with :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really lovely - it is always so satisfying to complete a project that you have had hanging around for ages xx

    ReplyDelete