Search This Blog

Monday 4 October 2010

October Scrapology Challenge

Our new challenge went live today at Scrapology!  Lynn Biermann's layout was our challenge for this month - I was stumped as to what my interpretation would be like, and eventually decided to simplify my version down a lot from the original. 

My husband and I have so few decent photos of the two of us together, that when I saw the one below taken by a photographer from a restaurant in Sorrento, I knew I wanted to do something a bit special with it. 


I took my inspiration from Lynn's major shape of the scallop and also used the flowers as my one accent.  As a bit of extra detail, I outlined the scallop with stitching holes that I made using a Bazzill template. 

To make the scallop, I punched out eight three inch circles from scrap card, and then marked the four midway points on the back a tan piece of 12 x 12.  On the same side, I then drew a circle as large as possible, and placed these eight circles evenly to form the scallop shape.  I then drew around the outline and cut out. 

I got out my collection of various flower stamps, and stamped out a heap of images using "London Fog" memento ink, which is a soft grey instead of the harsher black I normally stamp in. 

I then took out my set of Twinkling H20's and coloured in each of the flowers with the shimmery mica paint.  I took the colour inspiration from my outfit in the natural tones of chocolate brown, tan, teal and lime green. 

This layout was very time-consuming, because each flower was hand-tinted with Twinkling H20 paints and then "blinged up" with Stickles and gems.  Here's some close-ups:


That five point flower shape above is by Pink Paislee and is one of my favourites. 


I used my Quickutz alphabet "CK Newsprint" which I have rarely used, to my shame.  I cut the letters from the leftovers from the scallop and then Stickles all over the top, which gave a lovely sheen. 


The stamp above is the Glitz Distressed Couture Flower stamp.  It is quite large and flamboyant. 



Here's more of the detail above - I love the glitz and glimmer.  There's a freebie stamp from Craft Stamper, and representatives from Hero Arts, Fancy Pants and Crate Paper.  This is one of my favourite layouts lately and loses so much in the photography! 

Why don't you come over to the Scrapology blog and have a go at our monthly challenge?  There's a fab prize to be won, and what's more - hopefully another layout you love for your album! 

7 comments:

  1. Ah, such a lovely pic of you both! and i love the flowers and fronds around the edge too! not plain but simply gorgeous

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving all the sparkles Alison...and such a wonderful piccy of you two..xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful, really really beautiful. Such a lovely photograph, and your layout has done it such a great justice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the layout Ali. The bling is awesome and it's a really nice photo of you both. Love the rich colours on the black too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's all the little touches you add that make your work so special.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely picture and layout. Love how you worked the sketch. It's great seing how they all turn out.

    ReplyDelete